Wednesday 27 July 2011

Lights, Camera, Action part 1

I am really looking forward to the new batch of films that are set to come out in the Autumn. Cinemas are always filled with 'blockbusters' such as Harry Potter and Transformers over the summer, and they really aren't my thing. I thought I'd post about a few I'm excited about, many due to enjoying them in book form.

We need to talk about Kevin




Starring Tilda Swinton, John C. Reilly and Ezra Miller, the film is an adaptation of Lionel Shriver’s award winning novel. In my opinion Tilda Swinton is perfect to play Eva, Kevin's mother, she comes across as a straight stern woman who is determined to fulfil her own dreams. On the other hand I'm interested to see how John C. Reilly plays the part of Kevin's father, his casting really doesn't fit the character portrayed in the novel. This may however be down to Reilly's previous comic performances so I will have  to see the film before judging anymore.
The main theme of the film is Eva's in ability to bond with Kevin and the depressing effects this has as the years goes by. The grim and murderous subject of the book put some people I've spoken to off the book, they found it too depressing and the character of Kevin sadistic. But all books can't be airy fairy and this looks to be the gritty transition to film it needed. The film premiered at Cannes this year to rave reviews and will also be part of Toronto International Film Festival. 

Have you read the book? Are you interested in seeing the film? Let me know what you think of the clips of the film. Part 2 of this feature to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment